Sunday, January 13, 2008

I just love surprises...

and I mean "good" surprises which are really few and far between. You will probably find this to be a "weird" surprise, but I have wanted one of these for a long time. My dear BIL has two of these and I am always asking about them. So, DH went to the antique store today to pack up all of his ebay sales and on his way he saw someone selling "these" on the corner. He almost passed him up but instead he turned around, yes, I said turned around to go back and check it out. Without hesitation he purchases two for me and took them to the store. He called me to see what I was doing and told me that he had a surprise for me. I told him "great" bring it home with you. His reply was that I had to come to the store to see it because it needed to be taken care of. And then he said it was something I have always wanted and he bought it from a guy on the corner. What the.........never in a million years would I have thought
of this... Arent' they freakin' adorable? I was immediately off to Petco where, believe it or not, there were other people with their little turtles looking for turtle stuff and they all got them from the guy on the corner! Who knew there were turtle floating stations. And that they have to have UV heat lights for 10 hours a day. They are still not named. Need to hone in on the personalties. I can tell you that the turtle in the first picture is the more agressive. Climbs right up on the floating station and basks in the special turtle light. The second one is shy and tends to stay under water so far. Yes, I can tell them apart. Their shells are different! Any ideas for names? Post them here! And come by the store to meet them. My owners manual says they are very social! Here's to surprises that don't involve mice!

5 comments:

Judy Wood said...

There are hundreds of names for the color 'green', since both turtles have a lovely green color, maybe some combinations of green names would be good. I'd recommend "Emerald" for one turtle and "Sage" for the lighter colored turtle... Who knows, maybe "Sage" could somehow give you some much needed strength or advise!

Judy Wood said...

OH, and when I was in third grade, I had a 'horned toad' as a lovely 'pet', he won an unusual pet contest, had my picture in the paper and everything... He could do tricks! Roll over and everthing! Especially if I held my hand 'just right' (ie: lean a little to the left if I wanted him to roll over to the left, and a little to the right, if I wanted him to roll over the to the right... I THINK he was a 'he'! Lol...

Judy said...

I like the name Timothy Turtle. It was a favorite story of mine as a child. Timothy slid down a muddy hill and landed on his back and couldn't turn over.

I'm stuck for a second name.

Joy said...

I haven't seen these since I was a kid ~ we used to buy them at Newberry's, which is now that big antique mall on the north side of Main Street. (They were in the basement with all the other critters.)They are so cute! And I remember Timothy Turtle, too! As for names . . . I'm probably not the one to ask. I usually go for dead presidents and somehow "Eisenhower" doesn't quite fit.

Judy Wood said...

And... The winnings names are...