Saturday, June 23, 2007



Here are victims of the %(&^&% Iraq war that doesn't get thought about too much. These sweet little faces are my grandchildren, Dylan and Mason. While they were at Dylan's T-ball practice the other day a soldier that looked very much like Daddy happened to show up to watch his kids in full uniform. Now we know that all soldiers in uniform look somewhat alike but this man obviously held a very close resemblance right down to the sunglasses. Well, Mason took one look at him and yelled out "Daddy" and ran right for him. It wasn't until the soldier took off his sunglasses that Mason realized that he wasn't Daddy and took a quick retreat. Needless to say it broke my daughters heart to see Mason so excited and then dissapointment. A two year old just doesn't understand why Daddy comes home for two weeks to visit and then he's gone for what will probably be over one year. I wonder just how many little ones suffer that dissapointment everyday? Breaks my heart...

2 comments:

Dede Warren said...

my heart breaks right along with yours, for the littlest victoms of the war. Know that I am thinking of you and the safe return of your son!

4x4lady said...

Much love and prayers to you and your family and your soldier.
I was born, raised and married military, and children either join or marry into it.My eldest son has served in Iraq twicw as well as my new son in law. You could say that serving this country is in our blood. Even as a dependent, I believe that they are also fighting for our freedom. It isn't an easy job, but a necessary one. My children when they were small would walk up to a soldier in unuform and grab and hug his legs, thinking it was daddy.I think it even touched the soldier who was grabbed from below. I know the soul wrenching feeling, but then again I know the pride. I watched my dad's air craft carrier sail out to sea, and still cry when I see a soldier in uniform. It's part of who we are, like it or not. Freedom isn't free, and we didn't get it without cost to be the country we are today.
I think often of you and alway's enjoy our little visit's when I pop in the store. Lot's of love and prayers. Martine